Results From Day 1 Of World Superbike Testing At Phillip IslandMon, 17 Feb 2014 00:00:00 -0800
Eugene Laverty, aboard his Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000, led the field today as the first day of World Superbike testing got underway at the Phillip Island circuit in Australia, site of the first race of the 2014 season.
Under sunny skies and perfect weather conditions, Laverty adapted quickly to his new ride after spending last season aboard the Aprilia RSV4 Factory. The Suzuki offered incredible feedback and allowed him to push right out of the gates, ultimately setting a fastest lap time of 1:30.513.
Ducati‘s Davide Giugliano, aboard the 1199 Panigale, managed the second fastest time (1:30.718), while reigning champion Tom Sykes came third on his Kawasaki ZX-10R (1:30.737). Laverty’s teammate, reigning British Superbike champion, and WSBK rookie, Alex Lowes is impressing many in the paddock with his sheer speed, setting the fifth fastest time.
Monday’s combined times:
1. Eugene Laverty (Suzuki) 1:30.513
2. Davide Giugliano (Ducati) 1:30.718
3. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1:30.737
4. Loris Baz (Kawasaki) 1:30.757
5. Alex Lowes (Suzuki) 1:31.000
6. Marco Melandri (Aprilia) 1:31.146
7. Leon Haslam (Honda) 1:31.172
8. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia) 1:31.321
9. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1:31.404
10. Chaz Davies (Ducati) 1:31.419
23. Geoff May (EBR) 1:38.152
24. Aaron Yates (EBR) 1:39.656
By Troy Siahaan
See also: Results From Day 1 Of World Supersport Testing At Phillip Island, Results From Day 1 Of World Supersport Testing At Phillip Island, Single-Cylinder 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 250SL/RR Mono Revealed.